LA Galaxy 0, Toronto FC 2
May 31, 2008
BMO Field – Toronto, Canada
TFC – Julius James 1 (Rohan Ricketts 1) 49’
TFC – Jeff Cunningham 2 (Jarrod Smith 1) 65
TFC – Maurice Edu (caution; Professional Foul) 37’
TFC – Kevin Harmse (caution; Dissent) 54’
TFC – Jeff Cunningham (caution; Delaying a Restart) 65
LA Galaxy: Steve Cronin, Greg Vanney, Troy Roberts, Sean Franklin, Chris Klein©, Alvaro Pires, Brandon McDonald, Joe Franchino, Alan Gordon, Mike Randolph (Carlos Ruiz 67’), Edson Buddle.
Subs Not Used: Josh Wicks, Landon Donovan, Bryan Jordan, Josh Tudela, Julian Valentin, Peter Vagenas.
Toronto FC: Brian Edwards, Marco Velez, Jim Brennan©, Marvell Wynne, Olivier Tebily (Julius James 18’), Kevin Harmse, Maurice Edu, Rohan Ricketts, Todd Dunivant, Jarrod Smith (Nana Attakora-Gyan 87’), Jeff Cunningham.
Subs Not Used: David Monsalve, Pat Phelan, Tyler Rosenlund, Andrea Lombardo and Gabe Gala.
• With the loss, the Galaxy’s record stands at 4-4-2 on the season, keeping them at 14 points and in first place in the Western Conference standings for the time being with the rest of this weekend’s matches yet to be played.
•For only the second time this season, the potent Galaxy offense has been shutout for the first time since an opening day loss to Colorado. It snaps an eight game scoring streak for the club.
•ALL-TIME (4 meetings): TFC 2 wins, 6 goals …Galaxy 1 win, 4 goals …Ties 1
AT TORONTO: (2 meeting): TFC 1 wins, 2 goals …Galaxy 0 win, 0 goals …Ties 1
• This is the second of two meetings between the clubs this season, as the Galaxy make their lone trip to Canada and BMO Field.
• The teams played to a scoreless draw in Ontario in their first-ever meeting last year, with the Galaxy winning 2-1 on Victoria Street in the penultimate weekend of the season.
• When the teams first met, it was the first MLS game with David Beckham on the LA Galaxy roster (he did not play). They played to a scoreless draw -- for TFC, the fourth game in their 10-match run without a goal in setting an all-time MLS goalless record. For LA, it was the first of three successive shutouts, which came to an end in Beckham's first start in a wild 5-4 loss to New York.
• Coaches record: John Carver v LA: P2 W2 L0 D0 … Ruud Gullit vs. TOR: P2 W0 L2 D0
• Chris Klein made the 95th consecutive start of his MLS career, surpassing Kevin Hartman for the most consecutive starts in MLS history. The last time that Klein did not start an MLS game for his club was on June 4, 2005 when he missed a game through injury as a member of the Kansas City Wizards. Hartman had originally set the record as a member of the Galaxy when he started 93 consecutive games from August 21, 2002 until September 10, 2005.
• Carlos Ruiz made his second appearance off the bench this season as a second half substitute, replacing Mike Randolph in the 67th minute. It was Ruiz’s second MLS appearance since being injured in stoppage time of the season opening defeat to Colorado on March 29.
• The attendance for tonight’s game was 20,096.
• The Galaxy are back in action on Saturday, June 7 when they host the Colorado Rapids at The Home Depot Center. The match will kick off at 7:30 p.m. FSN West will broadcast the match live beginning with Galaxy Live at 7:00 p.m. Fans can also tune in live over the airwaves on 1330 KWKW (Spanish) and AM 570 (English).
Saturday, May 31, 2008
LA Galaxy 0, Toronto FC 2