LA Galaxy 3, Kansas City Wizards 1
May 24, 2008
The Home Depot Center – Carson, Calif.
KC – Claudio Lopez 3 (Unassisted) 40’
LA – Landon Donovan 9 (Penalty Kick) 54’
LA – Edson Buddle 4 (Landon Donovan 6, Alan Gordon 4) 74’
LA – David Beckham 4 (Unassisted) 94+
LA – Edson Buddle (Yellow Card) 30’
KC – Sasha Victorine (Yellow Card) 33’
KC – Jack Jewsbury (Yellow Card) 56’
LA – Alan Gordon (Yellow Card) 77’
LA Galaxy: Steve Cronin, Greg Vanney, Abel Xavier, Sean Franklin, Chris Klein, Alvaro Pires, Brandon McDonald (Alan Gordon 55’), Joe Franchino (Ely Allen 41’), David Beckham©, Landon Donovan (Carlos Ruiz 84’), Edson Buddle.
Subs Not Used: Josh Wicks, Troy Roberts, Ante Jazic, Peter Vagenas.
Kansas City Wizards: Kevin Hartman, Michael Harrington, Jimmy Conrad©, Tyson Wahl, Chance Myers (Ivan Trujillo 83’), Jack Jewsbury, Sasha Victorine (Kurt Morsink 75’), Davy Arnaud (Eloy Colombano 75’), Carlos Marinelli, Claudio Lopez, Scott Sealy.
Subs Not Used: Eric Kronberg, Aaron Hohlbein, Kerry Zavagnin, Ryan Pore.
· With the win, the Galaxy’s record stands at 4-3-2 on the season, giving them 14 points and leaving in first place in the Western Conference standings.
· The last time that the Galaxy were in first place was on May 8, 2005 when they had a 4-1-0 record.
· The Galaxy are now above .500 for the first time since October 1, 2005.
· The Galaxy came from behind to win 3-1; it was their first come-from behind win in MLS play since October 7, 2007. On that day, Carlos Pavon and Gavin Glinton scored to erase a 1-0 deficit as the Galaxy defeated Houston 2-1 at Robertson Stadium.
· Chris Klein made the 94th consecutive start of his MLS career, surpassing Kevin Hartman for the most consecutive starts in MLS history. The last time that Klein did not start an MLS game for his club was on June 4, 2005 when he missed a game through injury as a member of the Kansas City Wizards. Hartman had originally set the record as a member of the Galaxy when he started 93 consecutive games from August 21, 2002 until September 10, 2005.
· Galaxy forward Landon Donovan scored his MLS best ninth goal of the season. He also added his MLS best sixth assist in the game, meaning the he is alone in the league lead in both categories.
· Edson Buddle scored his fourth goal of the season in the 74th minute. It was his second game-winning goal in as many games. The last time that a Galaxy player scored the game-winner in back-to-back games was on August 20 and August 26, 2006.
· Ely Allen made his first appearance in more than a month, replacing Joe Franchino in the 41st minute. Allen had been sidelined with a hamstring injury.
· Carlos Ruiz returned to the lineup as a second half substitute, replacing Landon Donovan in the 84th minute. It was Ruiz’s first appearance since being injured in stoppage time of the season opening defeat to Colorado on March 29.
· The Galaxy have not lost to the Wizards in MLS regular season play since October 16, 2004. LA is now 4-0-2 in that time, including 3-0-1 at The Home Depot Center.
· The attendance for tonight’s game was 24,176.
· The Galaxy are back in action on Tuesday, May 27 when they host the Colorado Rapids at The Home Depot Center in a U.S. Open Cup Play-In Game. The match will kick off at 7:30 p.m. 1220 KWKU (Spanish) will carry the game live on the radio while fans can also listen live in English at http://www.lagalaxy.com/.
Post game reaction...
Galaxy Forward Edson Buddle
On having another game winning goal:
“It feels good, definitely. It is too bad that we could not put the game away early, but it feels good to keep things going.”
On last week’s performance carrying over to this week:
I just try to think of practice when I think of the game. I think in training we are finding each other and playing with confidence. We started off slow but we still could have put the game away early.”
On getting the win and moving into first place:
“I think it was a very big deal for us, with Houston losing, it was a big deal to get those three points at home. I think no matter what, we should definitely win at home.”
Midfielder Ely Allen
On getting back into the game after injury:
“It was good to get a win. It was my first time back playing in four weeks. Coach called my name, I got up, got ready and I was determined to help the team get a win. I am still getting back into it, still getting into the rhythm of things, but overall I think it went well. I am happy with my performance.”
Forward Carlos Ruiz
On playing his first game since March:
It felt very good. I was very happy to get back out on the field. I got to play the last six minutes of the game and I had a couple of chances to score.”
On when he thinks he will get back into the game:
We have another game Tuesday, so maybe the coach can give me a couple of more minutes and I will try to play to the level that I need to be at.”
Defender Abel Xavier
On coming back from a one goal deficit:
“I think we showed a lot of character in the way we reacted because today we faced a good team. They started the game well and were very focused. I think we showed in the way that we reacted that we can be a good team.”
Saturday, May 24, 2008
LA Galaxy 3, Kansas City Wizards 1