LA Galaxy 2, New York Red Bulls 2
July 19, 2008
Giants Stadium – East Rutherford N.J.
LA – Carlos Ruiz 1 (Edson Buddle 2) 29’
NY – Dave van den Bergh 5 (Jorge Rojas 1, Seth Stammler 1) 35’
NY – Juan Pablo Angel 6 (Jorge Rojas 2) 71’
LA – Landon Donovan 12 (Unassisted) 92+
LA – Chris Klein (Yellow Card) 2’
NY – Jon Conway (Yellow Card) 64’
LA – Peter Vagenas (Yellow Card) 72’
LA Galaxy: Steve Cronin, Chris Klein, Troy Roberts, Greg Vanney (Alan Gordon 78’), Ante Jazic, Alvaro Pires, Peter Vagenas, David Beckham©, Landon Donovan, Edson Buddle, Carlos Ruiz.
Subs Not Used: Josh Wicks, Eduardo Dominguez, Mike Randolph, Joe Franchino, Josh Tudela, Ely Allen.
New York Red Bulls: Jon Conway, Andrew Boyens, Jeff Parke, Kevin Goldthwaite, Dave van den Bergh (Juan Pietravallo 89’), Carlos Mendes, Seth Stammler, Dane Richards (Hunter Freeman 50’), Jorge Rojas, Oscar Echeverry (John Wolyniec 63’), Juan Pablo Angel.
Subs Not Used: Zach Thornton, Chris Leitch, Sinisa Ubiparapovic, Mike Magee.
· With the draw, the Galaxy are 6-6-5 on the season leaving them with 23 points. They remain in second place in the Western Conference one point behind Real Salt Lake who drew 0-0 at Chicago tonight.
· Ruud Gullit made two changes to his team that drew 1-1 to Chivas USA on July 10. Ely Allen and Mike Randolph both stared today’s game on the bench. They were replaced in the starting XI by Alvaro Pires and Carlos Ruiz. Josh Wicks and Eduardo Dominguez were each on the bench to start the game, replacing Vito Higgins and Julian Valentin.
· Dominguez was officially added to the Galaxy roster on Friday and was in the 18-man roster for the first time.
· Carlos Ruiz scored his first goal of the season in the 29th minute. This was just his second start of the 2008 season and it was his first goal for the club in a regular season game since August 21, 2004. He was traded to FC Dallas at the end of the 2004 season and spent the last three years there before rejoining the Galaxy in January.
· Landon Donovan’s goal in second half stoppage time was his league best 12th of the season. That goal ties Donovan’s career high for goals in a season, which was set in 2003 and then matched in 2005 and 2006. Donovan now has 12 goals in 14 games this season.
· Donovan’s goal was the Galaxy’s first goal in second half stoppage that earned either a tie or a Galaxy win since Cornell Glen scored the game-winner in the 93rd minute of the 2-1 win over Chivas USA on April 15, 2006.
· With Ruiz scoring the game’s opening goal, the Galaxy were in front 1-0 for the first time since June 21 against Columbus. They had allowed the first goal in each of the last three games, going 0-2-1 in that time. The Galaxy are now 5-0-2 on the season when scoring first.
· For the first time this year, the Galaxy wore their blue secondary uniform. It is the third time that they have ever worn the uniform in an MLS game, going 0-2-1 in those matches.
· The attendance for tonight’s game was 46,754, making it the largest crowd that the Galaxy have played in front of this season.
· The Galaxy are back in action on Sunday, July 27, when they travel to Dallas to take on FC Dallas at Pizza Hut Park. The match will kick off at 4 p.m. (PT) and can be seen live on FSN West. The match will also be available live on the radio in English on AM 570 and in Spanish on KWKW 1330 ESPN Deportes.
Saturday, July 19, 2008
LA Galaxy 2, New York Red Bulls 2