In addition to announcing the March 14 friendly against Chicago at Sun Devil Stadium, there have been a couple of other news items that have come up today.
- The club has also finalized a preseason friendly against the Houston Dynamo on Thursday, February 12.
- Josh Boateng arrived in Los Angeles on Wednesday night and made his training debut this morning under a light rain at The Home Depot Center. A native of Ghana, Boateng will wear the number 33 shirt this season.
- Dema Kovalenko arrived today and will participate in training for the first time on Friday morning. That will leave David Beckham, Landon Donovan, Omar Gonzalez and Donovan Ricketts as the lone absentees from camp so far.
- Goalkeeper Charles Alamo has announced his retirement and will return to school. Alamo played in one Reserve Division game for the club in 2008 but suffered a torn ACL in his left knee in a preseason friendly against Houston in February and again in his Reserve Division appearance against San Jose in August.
- Former Cal State Dominguez Hills goalkeeper Miguel Benitez trained with the club today.
- Sean Franklin returned today from Germany where he underwent sports hernia surgery earlier this week.
- Shortly after his selection by the Galaxy at the SuperDraft, Kyle Patterson spoke with the Press Association (based out of England) about become a member of the Galaxy. Here is what the former West Bromwich Albion schoolboy had to say. Also, here is Patterson's headshot from back in his early days at West Brom.
- Landon Donovan continued his strong form on loan at Bayern Munich, scoring twice in their 5-0 win over Mainz 05. Landon now has four goals in five friendlies while on loan to the German club. His first competitive game with Bayern comes on the 27th against Stuttgart in the DFB Cup, with his first league game three days later against Hamburg.
- The Galaxy's other loan star, David Beckham has started each of his two Serie A games with Milan, helping the Rossoneri to a draw away to Roma and a home win over Fiorentina. Milan is back in action on Sunday away to Bologna.