LA Galaxy 0, Columbus Crew 1
October 4, 2008
Columbus Crew Stadium – Columbus, Ohio
CLB – Alejandro Moreno 9 (Danny O’Rourke 3) 43’
CLB – Brian Carroll (Yellow Card) 9’
LA – Peter Vagenas (Yellow Card) 29’
LA – David Beckham (Yellow Card) 32’
LA – Bryan Jordan (Yellow Card) 83’
LA Galaxy: Josh Saunders, Chris Klein, Sean Franklin, Troy Roberts (Alan Gordon 81’), Greg Vanney, Joe Franchino (Bryan Jordan 69’), Peter Vagenas, Eddie Lewis, David Beckham©, Landon Donovan, Edson Buddle.
Subs Not Used: Josh Wicks, Ante Jazic, Julian Valentin, Mike Randolph, Brandon McDonald.
Columbus Crew: William Hesmer, Gino Padula, Andy Iro, Chad Marshall, Danny O’Rourke, Brian Carroll, Brad Evans, Eddie Gaven (Emmanuel Ekpo 69’), Robbie Rogers, Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Pat Noonan 61’), Alejandro Moreno.
Subs Not Used: Andy Gruenebaum, Ezra Hendrickson, Duncan Oughton, Stefani Miglioranzi, Jason Garey.
- With the loss, the Galaxy are now 7-12-8 on the season, leaving them on 29 points and alone in seventh place in the Western Conference. The Galaxy are currently six points behind Real Salt Lake for the third and final guaranteed playoff spot in the Western Conference and five points behind FC Dallas and Colorado (who play later tonight) for fourth place.
- Head coach Bruce Arena made three changes to his starting lineup from the 3-1 loss at Chicago on August 25. Goalkeeper Josh Saunders and central midfielders Joe Franchino and Peter Vagenas were in the lineup, replacing Josh Wicks, Ante Jazic and Alan Gordon. Franchino and Vagenas each started in central midfield, with Greg Vanney moving to Jazic’s position of left back and Landon Donovan starting up front alongside Edson Buddle in lieu of Gordon.
- Josh Saunders made his MLS debut in goal for the Galaxy. An MLS veteran, Saunders spent two seasons (2003-04) with the San Jose Earthquakes, who drafted him in the third round of the 2003 MLS SuperDraft. He was with the Galaxy from 2005-06, winning an MLS Cup with the club before spending the last two years in the USL First Division with the Puerto Rico Islanders and Miami FC.
- Saunders is the third different goalkeeper to be used by the Galaxy this season, joining Steve Cronin and Josh Wicks. The only other time that the Galaxy have used three different goalkeepers in a season was in 1997 when Jorge Campos, David Kramer and Kevin Hartman each saw time in goal for the Galaxy.
- Joe Franchino started his first game since July 4, playing in central midfield for the opening 69 minutes before being replaced by Bryan Jordan.
- With his first half yellow card, David Beckham will be suspended for his next Galaxy game.
- Chris Klein started for the 112th consecutive game, extending his own MLS record. He is the only Galaxy player to appear in all 27 of the club’s games so far.
- With Alejandro Moreno’s goal in the 43rd minute have now allowed the first goal in eight of their last 10 games, including each of their last six away from The Home Depot Center. This year the Galaxy are 2-12-4 when allowing the first goal, while the Crew are 12-0-0 when scoring the first goal.
- The Galaxy were shutout for the sixth time this season, forcing three saves from Columbus goalkeeper William Hesmer. Despite the clean sheet, the Galaxy still lead MLS in goals scored with 50.
- With the loss, the Galaxy are now 1-6-4 all-time at Crew Stadium.
- The attendance for tonight’s game was a sellout crowd of 22,685, the biggest crowd for a game at Crew Stadium this season.
- For more about tonight’s game, please visit http://www.lagalaxy.com/.
- The Galaxy are back in action at home on Sunday, October 12, when they host the Colorado Rapids at The Home Depot Center. The match will kick off at 5 p.m. The match will be available live on the radio on KTLK 1150 AM (English) and KWKW 1330 ESPN Deportes (Spanish). FSN West will also carry the game on tape delay, with ‘Galaxy Live’ airing at 8 p.m. and the game starting at 8:30 p.m.