LA Galaxy 0, Houston Dynamo 3
October 18, 2008
Robertson Stadium – Houston, Texas
HOU – Own Goal (Bryan Jordan) 14’
HOU – Dwayne DeRosario 6 (Unassisted) 20’
HOU – Brian Ching 13 (Nate Jaqua 4, Bobby Boswell 1) 23’
LA – Alvaro Pires (Yellow Card) 86’
LA – Troy Roberts (Yellow Card) 89’
LA Galaxy: Josh Saunders, Greg Vanney (Mike Randolph 46’), Sean Franklin, Troy Roberts, Chris Klein, Brandon McDonald (Alvaro Pires 79’), Joe Franchino, Eddie Lewis, Bryan Jordan (Alan Gordon 40’), Edson Buddle, Landon Donovan©.
Subs Not Used: Josh Wicks, Julian Valentin, Ante Jazic, Ely Allen.
Houston Dynamo: Pat Onstad, Craig Waibel, Bobby boswell, Geoff Cameron, Wade Barrett©, Ricardo Clark (Richard Mulrooney 46’), Brian Mullan, Brad Davis (Corey Ashe 85’), Dwayne DeRosario (Stuart Holden 79’), Brian Ching, Nate Jaqua.
Subs Not Used: Tony Caig, Patrick Ianni, Mike Chabala, Chris Wondolowski.
· With the loss, the Galaxy are now 8-13-8 on the season, leaving them with 32 points. The Galaxy remain in sixth place in the Western Conference but have now been eliminated from postseason contention.
· Bruce Arena made two changes to the starting XI from last weekend’s 3-2 win over the Colorado Rapids. Landon Donovan and Brandon McDonald were back in the starting lineup, replacing Alan Gordon, who starts the game on the bench, and Peter Vagenas who misses the game with a right quad injury.
· For the first time this season, Landon Donovan wore the captain’s armband for the Galaxy. He joins David Beckham, Chris Klein and Peter Vagenas as Galaxy captains this season.
· David Beckham misses the game through suspension. It is the first game that he has missed this season for a reason other than National Team duty.
· For Brandon McDonald, it was his first start since May 31 in a 2-0 loss at Toronto FC. That was the 10th game of the season and he was making his eighth start of the year in that game.
· The own goal by Bryan Jordan in the 14th minute was the first own goal by the Galaxy this season and their first since August 26, 2006, when Chris Albright scored an own goal against D.C. United. That goal came in the 9th minute of a game that the Galaxy won 5-2.
· The three goals allowed in the first half was the most allowed by the Galaxy in the opening 45 minutes of a game since July 27 in a 4-0 loss at FC Dallas.
· The Galaxy are now 2-13-4 when allowing the first goal of the game, compared to 6-0-4 when scoring the game’s first goal.
· This is the second time in Galaxy history that the club has been eliminated from postseason contention before the season’s final game. In 2006, LA lost 2-1 at FC Dallas on October 7, eliminating them from postseason contention with one game left in the year. The Galaxy went on to win that game at home 5-2 over FC Dallas on October 14, 2006.
· The Galaxy were the third team in MLS to be eliminated from postseason contention this season. Toronto FC and San Jose were each eliminated from postseason contention with the Earthquakes 3-2 loss at Kansas City earlier in the day.
· The Dynamo clinched first place in the Western Conference with the win.
· The attendance for tonight’s game was a 30,361, the biggest crowd to see a Dynamo home game this season and the second biggest in the stadium’s history for an MLS game. The biggest came last season when the Galaxy won 2-1 in Houston on October 7, 2007.
· For more about tonight’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.
· The Galaxy are back in action on Sunday, October 26, when they host FC Dallas in the regular season finale at The Home Depot Center. The match, which will be Fan Appreciation Day at The Home Depot Center, will kick off at 12 p.m. (PT) and can be seen live locally on FSN West, starting with the ‘Galaxy Live’ Pregame show at 11:30 a.m., and nationally on Telefutura. The match will also be available live on the radio on AM 570 (English) and KWKW 1330 ESPN Deportes Radio (Spanish).
Saturday, October 18, 2008
LA Galaxy 0, Houston Dynamo 3