LA Galaxy 2, Toronto FC 1
June 6, 2009
BMO Field – Toronto, Ontario - Canada
LA -- Alan Gordon 3 (Eddie Lewis 2) 5'
TOR -- Danny Dichio 2 (unassisted) 64'
LA -- Edson Buddle 2 (Alan Gordon 1) 77'
LA -- Omar Gonzalez (Yellow Card) 9'
LA -- Tony Sanneh (Yellow Card) 31'
TOR -- Kevin Harmse (Yellow Card) 44'
LA Galaxy: Donovan Ricketts, Todd Dunivant, Omar Gonzalez, Tony Sanneh (Leonard Griffin 74', A.J. DeLaGarza, Eddie Lewis, Dema Kovalenko, Josh Tudela, Chris Klein (Edson Buddle 66'), Mike Magee (Stefani Miglioranzi 64'), Alan Gordon.
Subs Not Used: Josh Saunders, Kyle Patterson, Jovan Kirovski, Bryan Jordan.
Toronto FC: Stefan Frei, Jim Brennan (Rohan Ricketts 56'), Marco Velez, Adrian Serioux, Kevin Harmse, Sam Cronin, Carl Robinson, Pablo Vitti (Johann Smith 82'), Dewayne De Rosario, Danny Dichio, Chad Barrett (Emmanuel Gomez 86').
Subs Not Used: Greg Sutton, Brian Edwards, Gabe Gala.
• With the win, the Galaxy are now 2-1-9 on the season, leaving them in fifth place in the Western Conference with 15 points. They are now four points ahead of sixth place Real Salt Lake, who play against Colorado later tonight, and one point behind fourth place Colorado.
• The Galaxy used a new starting lineup from the previous two weekends. Tony Sanneh is back in the center of defense replacing the suspended Gregg Berhalter. While Chris Klein returns to the starting lineup for the first time since May 6 versus Real Salt Lake. He has now played in 125 consecutive games, an MLS record.
• The Galaxy were without the injured Sean Franklin and Yohance Marshall who are both on the Disabled List with hamstring and knee injuries respectively.
• Tonight’s game was the first without Galaxy forward Landon Donovan, who is in Chicago with the U.S. National Team for their World Cup Qualifier versus Honduras. He will miss as many as the next three games as he has been included in the U.S. team that will to South Africa for the FIFA Confederations Cup.
• The Galaxy scored for only the fourth time in the first half.
• Alan Gordon’s goal in the 6th minute was his third of the season, maintaining his spot as the second leading scorer on the squad. In addition, the strike was only the second cornerkick goal this season for the Galaxy.
• Eddie Lewis earned the assist on Gordon’s header, marking his second assist of the season, tying him with Dema Kovalenko and Mike Magee for second on the club.
• Edson Buddle second goal of the season in the 77th minute to move up to third place on the Galaxy leader board behind Gordon (3) and Donovan (6). He has also now notched a goal in the last two consecutive matches.
• With the assist, Gordon earns his first of the season.
• With the win, the Galaxy’s unbeaten streak extends to ten games, the longest unbeaten streak for the club since a 12-game streak that began late in the 1999 season and ended early in the 2000 campaign. LA is 1-0-8 during the run.
• Donovan Ricketts made ten saves for the Galaxy and remains undefeated as an MLS goalkeeper, improving his record to 2-0-8.
• The Galaxy wore their all-white uniforms tonight and remain unbeaten in them, going 2-0-8 when wearing all-white.
• The attendance for today’s game was 20,753.
• The Galaxy will play two games this coming week. On Tuesday, June 9, LA host CS Herediano in an international friendly before returning to MLS action on Saturday, June 13 when they will take on Real Salt Lake at The Home Depot Center. Both games kick off at 7:30 p.m. (PT).
• For more about this afternoon’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.
Saturday, June 6, 2009
LA Galaxy 2, Toronto FC 1