Monday, June 15, 2009

From the Locker Room

With the team off today, here are a few reactions from both teams after Saturday night's game.

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER – QUOTE SHEET
Saturday, June 13, 2009

LA GALAXY

LA Galaxy Head Coach Bruce Arena
On team’s performance..
“We didn’t play well tonight. We did three critical mistakes. One, Yura Movsisyan, Javier Morales and Kyle Beckerman dominated us. Second, we didn’t take our opportunities that came on our way. And thirdly, we just lacked discipline.”

On some of the improvements to be made in the future...
“Having Landon Donovan and David Beckham back, they will be at least part of the solution for us.”

Galaxy Defender Omar Gonzalez
On first half…
“I think first half they really dominated us. I think we came out slow and I think a lot of our players didn’t come out the way we usually do and that really hurt us.”

Galaxy Midfielder Eddie Lewis
On red card…
“I just tossed the ball at the player and said, come on, get up. That was it. I’ve seen guys smash balls at players when they are down and haven’t seen someone sent off for that yet.”

On if he regrets his actions…
“Certainly. You never want to subject your team to playing a man down. It’s very difficult to get back into the game when you are down two goals but when you are down to 10 men it’s almost the final nail.”

Galaxy Defender Gregg Berhalter
On Yura Movsisyan’s goal…
“I thought he was going to shoot it with his left, but I also thought we had some cover there. I thought that even if he cut it back that would be another defender coming and there wasn’t. He made a nice move and an even better finish. It was a good goal by Yura.”

Galaxy Forward Edson Buddle
On overall mood…
“A little disappointed. I give them credit, they did a good job and we just have to look at next week’s game.”

On Nick Rimando…
“He had a good night overall. It’s just wasn’t our night tonight.”

REAL SALT LAKE

Real Salt Lake Head Coach Jason Kreis
On team’s performance…
“I am very pleased. It’s a big win. It is our first road victory in the season, and it’s our first win after a long time. I am glad that we took a win after many disappointments. To see your players putting a lot of effort and dedication is great.”

“We put the effort together, we had the possession, and we took our chances.”

“Everything came up together for us tonight, and that’s a solid sign. I told my players in the locker room…Welcome back.”

On Yura Movsisyan’s performance…
“Watching Yura day in and day out, I said during all this disappointment that it was going to take just one special play for him to spark. And, he did a fantastic job today.”

On Nick Rimando’s performance…
“[Rimando] made some monster saves tonight. He had a fantastic save in the second half on [Jovan Kirovski’s shot]. He came up big for us. This is the situation where you need your players to make big plays, tonight a lot of our players made big plays.”

On Eddie Lewis’ red card…
“From where I was sitting, [Lewis] threw the ball to Javier Morales while he was in the floor. There is not much to argue in that.”

Real Salt Lake Forward Yura Movsisyan
On coming back home…
“Coming back home is always special for me, it is the place where everything started. So it is a special feeling to come back and to succeed.”

On his goal…
“It’s huge for us. It’s huge not just for myself, but for the team. Obviously, my job is to score goals and give the team a spark. And I think at the moment we are doing that, and as a team, we are playing very confident now.”

No comments: