LA Galaxy 2, D.C. United 2
March 22, 2009
The Home Depot Center – Carson, Calif.
DC – Christian Gomez 1 (Penalty Kick) 44’
DC – Chris Pontius 1 (Rodney Wallace 1) 62’
LA – Landon Donovan 1 (Penalty Kick) 80’
LA – Landon Donovan 2 (Kyle Patterson 1) 85’
LA – Dema Kovalenko (Yellow Card) 44’
DC – Rodney Wallace (Yellow Card) 56’
DC – Christian Gomez (Yellow Card) 69’
DC – Josh Wicks (Yellow Card) 79'
LA Galaxy: Josh Saunders, A.J. DeLaGarza, Tony Sanneh, Omar Gonzalez, Sean Franklin, Josh Tudela, Dema Kovalenko (Kyle Patterson 80’), Mike Magee (Bryan Jordan 59’), Chris Klein, Jovan Kirovski (Alan Gordon 76’), Landon Donovan©.
Subs Not Used: Miguel Benetiz, Yohance Marshall, Julian Valentin, Stefani Miglioranzi.
D.C. United: Josh Wicks, Rodney Wallace, Greg Janicki, Dejan Jakovic, Devan McTavish (Marc Burch 79’), Bryan Namoff, Clyde Simms, Ben Olsen© (Thabiso Khumalo 72’), Christian Gomez (Andrew Jacobson 83’), Chris Pontius, Luciano Emilio.
Subs Not Used: Milos Kocic, Anthony Peters, Francis Doe, Jaime Moreno.
• With the draw, the Galaxy begin the season 0-0-1. They are now tied with the Houston Dynamo for third place in the Western Conference with one point.
• Six of the 11 players that started the game for the Galaxy were not with the club at the end of the 2008 MLS season.
• For the second straight season, the Galaxy used two draft picks in their starting lineup for the first game of the season, with Omar Gonzalez and A.J. DeLaGarza each starting in defense. Last year, both Ely Allen and Michael Gavin were in the Galaxy’s starting XI for the season opening loss to Colorado.
• This was the first time since the 2006 season that the Galaxy began their season at home. The Galaxy are now 9-4-1 all-time in their home openers and 6-5-3 in season openers.
• With his goal in the 80th minute, Landon Donovan ended the Galaxy’s run of 461 minutes without a goal on opening day. Prior to Donovan’s goal, the last time a Galaxy player scored in the season opener was on April 3, 2004 when Jovan Kirovski scored in a 3-2 win over New England at The Home Depot Center.
• Donovan’s two goals on the day made him the first Galaxy player to score two goals in the season’s first game since Carlos Ruiz did in a 2-1 overtime win over D.C. United on March 23, 2002.
• Kyle Patterson’s assist on Donovan’s game-tying goal in the 85th minute was the first of his MLS career.
• With the draw, the Galaxy are 0-0-1 this season when allowing the game’s first goal. Last year they were 2-13-4 when falling behind 1-0.
• The attendance for today’s game was 18,013.
• For more about this afternoon’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
LA Galaxy 2, D.C. United 2