LA Galaxy 3, Colorado Rapids 2
June 7, 2008
The Home Depot Center – Carson, Calif.
LA – Alvaro Pires 1 (Unassisted) 4’
LA – Edson Buddle 5 (Abel Xavier 1) 32’
LA – Ely Allen 1 (Peter Vagenas 1, Edson Buddle 1) 50’
COL – Colin Clark 2 (Omar Cummings 2) 73’
COL – Herculez Gomez 1 (Unassisted) 82’
COL – Christian Gomez (Yellow Card) 33’
LA – Alan Gordon (Red Card) 44’
COL – Facundo Erpen (Red Card) 44’
COL – Preston Burpo (Yellow Card) 56’
LA Galaxy: Steve Cronin, Mike Randolph, Sean Franklin, Abel Xavier, Chris Klein, Alvaro Pires, Peter Vagenas (Ante Jazic 68’), Ely Allen (Joe Franchino 65’), David Beckham©, Alan Gordon (Sent Off 44’), Edson Buddle (Carlos Ruiz 59’).
Subs Not Used: Josh Wicks, Troy Roberts, Greg Vanney, Brandon McDonald.
Colorado Rapids: Preston Burpo, Ugo Ihemelu, Facundo Erpen© (Sent Off 44’), Rafael Gomes (Herculez Gomez 77’), Jordan Harvey, Nick LaBrocca, Colin Clark, Jacob Peterson (Mehdi Ballouchy 46’), Christian Gomez, Conor Casey (Omar Cummings 60’), Tom McManus
Subs Not Used: Chris Sharpe, Kosuke Kimura, Stephen Keel, Terry Cooke.
· With the win, the Galaxy improve to 5-4-2 on the season for 17 points, moving them to first place in the Western Conference, two points ahead of second place Colorado who entered the night in first place with 15 points.
· Tonight’s game was played on the five-year anniversary of the first-ever game at The Home Depot Center. On that day, June 7, 2003, Carlos Ruiz scored twice in a 2-0 Galaxy win over the Rapids.
· By scoring three goals tonight, the Galaxy have now scored two or more goals in six of their seven home games in MLS play this season.
· Alvaro Pires’ goal in the 4th minute was the first of his MLS career. He signed with the Galaxy in March and has appeared in seven regular season games so far this season, starting all seven.
· Pires’ goal is the earliest that the Galaxy have scored this season, breaking the past mark for the earliest goal from David Beckham, who scored in the 9th minute of the 2-0 win over San Jose on April 3. The last time that the Galaxy scored a goal earlier than the 4th minute was on June17, 2007 when Nate Jaqua scored in the 3rd minute of a 3-2 win over Real Salt Lake.
· Edson Buddle’s goal in the 32nd minute was his fifth of the season, with all five coming in the last four league games. Buddle joined the Galaxy in June 2007 and tallied five goals in 16 games for LA last season. His career high for goals in a year is 11, set in 2004 as a member of the Columbus Crew.
· Ely Allen scored the first goal of his MLS career in the 50th minute of the game. He is the seventh different Galaxy player to score this season, with the club also scoring once via an own goal.
· Allen and Pires each scored the first goal of their MLS careers in this game. The last time that two different Galaxy players scored their first career MLS goals in the same game was on April 3, 2004 when Andreas Herzog and Jovan Kirovski each scored in a 3-2 win over New England.
· The Galaxy’s Alan Gordon and Facundo Erpen of Colorado were each sent off just before halftime, forcing both sides to play the entire second half with 10 men.
· Ely Allen, David Beckham, Peter Vagenas and Abel Xavier were all back in the starting lineup after missing the 2-0 loss to Toronto FC last weekend.
· Edson Buddle left the game in the 59th minute with a left thigh contusion and was replaced by Carlos Ruiz.
· Peter Vagenas left the game in 68th minute with a right quad injury. He was replaced by Ante Jazic who was making his first appearance of the 2008 MLS season after undergoing major ankle surgery in December.
· The Galaxy are back in action on Saturday, June 14 when they travel north to San Jose for the first time this season to take on the Earthquakes. The match will be played at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland with kickoff slated for 7 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel will have all of the action live, starting with the MLS Saturday pregame show at 6:30 p.m. The match will also be available live on the radio starting at 7 p.m. on both AM 570 (English) and ESPN Deportes Radio 1330 KWKW (Spanish).
Saturday, June 7, 2008
LA Galaxy 3, Colorado Rapids 2