LA Galaxy 1, D.C. United 4
June 29, 2008
RFK Stadium – Washington D.C.
DC – Jaime Moreno 6 (Penalty Kick) 5’
LA – Edson Buddle 10 (Landon Donovan 7) 26’
DC – Luciano Emilio 9 (Mark Burch 2, Jaime Moreno 7) 37’
DC – Marcelo Gallardo 4 (Luciano Emilio 2, Gonzalo Martinez 1) 60’
DC – Luciano Emilio 10 (Fred 3, Marcelo Gallardo 3) 68’
DC – Marcelo Gallardo (Yellow Card) 42’
LA – Landon Donovan (Yellow Card) 42’
LA – Josh Tudela (Yellow Card) 51’
LA Galaxy: Steve Cronin, Chris Klein, Sean Franklin, Abel Xavier, Mike Randolph, Alvaro Pires (Alan Gordon 64’), Ante Jazic (Joe Franchino 61’), David Beckham©, Ely Allen (Josh Tudela 46+), Edson Buddle, Landon Donovan.
Subs Not Used: Vito Higgins, Greg Vanney, Troy Roberts, Brandon McDonald.
D.C. United: Zach Wells, Brian Namoff, Devon McTavish, Gonzalo Peralta, Gonzalo Martinez, Clyde Simms, Santino Quaranta (Mark Burch 27’), Fred (Rod Dyachenko 77’), Marcelo Gallardo, Luciano Emilio, Jaime Moreno© (Ben Olsen 75’).
Subs Not Used: Jose Carvallo, Ryan Cordeiro, Quavas Kirk, Francis Doe.
· With the loss, the Galaxy fall to 6-5-3 on the season for 21 points. They remain in first place in the Western Conference standings, two points ahead of the Houston Dynamo and Real Salt Lake.
· Ruud Gullit made no changes to his team, using the same starting XI as he used in the 3-3 draw with Columbus last weekend. It is the first time since the second and third games (on April 3 and April 13) of the year that Gullit has been able to use the same lineup in consecutive games.
· Jaime Moreno’s penalty kick goal in the 5th minute was the earliest goal allowed by the Galaxy this season, coming one minute earlier than Fabian Espindola’s goal for Real Salt Lake in the 2-2 draw with the Galaxy at Rice-Eccles Stadium on May 3.
· Edson Buddle’s goal in the 26th minute was his 10th of the season. He has now scored in four straight games and has recorded double figures in goals for the third time in his career, but the first time since 2004. He is now one goal off of tying his career-high of 11 set that same season.
· Buddle now joins Landon Donovan with double figures in goals this season. The last time that the Galaxy had two or more players each score 10 or more goals in the same season was in 2005 when Donovan scored 12 goals to lead the club, while Herculez Gomez added 11. The only other time that the Galaxy more than one player scored 10 or more goals in a season was in 1998 when Cobi Jones, Welton and Mauricio Cienfuegos all scored more than 10.
· With his assist on Buddle’s goal, Landon Donovan is now tied for the MLS in assists with seven.
· The four goals allowed by the Galaxy ties the club’s season-high for this year, which was set in the season opener against Colorado, a 4-0 Galaxy defeat.
· The attendance for tonight’s game was 35,979, meaning that all but one of the Galaxy’s road games this season have been played in front of more than 20,000 fans.
· The Galaxy are back in action on Friday, July 4, when they host the New England Revolution at The Home Depot Center. The match will kick off at 7:30 p.m. and can be seen live on FSN Prime Ticket. The match will also be available live on the radio starting at 9 a.m. on AM 570 (English) and KWKW 1330 ESPN Deportes. Fans attending the game will also have a chance to see the club’s annual Fireworks Extravaganza, which is powered by KDAY 93.5 FM.
Sunday, June 29, 2008
LA Galaxy 1, D.C. United 4