LA Galaxy 3, San Jose Earthquakes 0
June 14, 2008
McAfee Coliseum – Oakland, Calif.
LA – Edson Buddle 6 (Josh Tudela 1, David Beckham 6) 6’
LA – Edson Buddle 7 (Ante Jazic 1, Ely Allen 1) 63’
LA – Edson Buddle 8 (Mike Randolph 2, Ante Jazic 2) 68’
SJ – John Cunliffe (Yellow Card) 39’
SJ – Adam Smarte (Yellow Card) 45’
LA – Ely Allen (Yellow Card) 59’
LA – Alvaro Pires (Yellow Card) 62’
SJ – Ryan Johnson (Yellow Card) 63’
LA Galaxy: Steve Cronin, Mike Randolph, Sean Franklin, Abel Xavier, Chris Klein, Alvaro Pires, Ante Jazic, Josh Tudela, David Beckham© (Troy Roberts 88’), Ely Allen, Edson Buddle.
Subs Not Used: Vito Higgins, Michael Gavin, Julian Valentin, Brandon McDonald, Greg Vanney, Bryan Jordan.
San Jose Earthquakes: Joe Cannon, Adam Smarte (Joe Vide 56’), Ryan Cochrane (Jamil Roberts 74’), Jason Hernandez, Eric Denton, Kelly Gray, Ramiro Corrales©, Ned Grabavoy, Ronnie O’Brien, John Cunliffe (Shea Salinas 51’), Ryan Johnson.
Subs Not Used: Dan Benton, Matt Hatzke, Amir Lowery, Gavin Glinton.
· With the win, the Galaxy improve to 6-4-2 on the season for 20 points, moving them to first place in the Western Conference, three points ahead of second place Houston, who entered the night in a tie for first place with the Galaxy.
· Galaxy head coach Ruud Gullit made two changes to the side that beat Colorado 3-2 last weekend. Ante Jazic and fellow midfielder Josh Tudela were each named in the starting lineup, replacing Alan Gordon, who was suspended for the game, and Peter Vagenas, who missed out with a right quad injury.
· Jazic made his first start of the season, playing the full 90 minutes on the left side of midfield.
· Edson Buddle scored three times on the night, giving him eight on the season. That places him in second place in MLS, two behind the league leader, the Galaxy’s Landon Donovan who has nine goals in nine games so far this season.
· The hat trick was the fourth of Buddle’s career and his second of the season, with both coming on the road. Buddle also had three goals in the 5-1 win at FC Dallas.
· Buddle now has two hat tricks in a Galaxy uniform, leaving him two behind Cobi Jones, now a Galaxy assistant coach, for the most in club history. Jones had four during his 12-year Galaxy career.
· Prior to Buddle, only Eduardo Hurtado and Cobi Jones had scored more than one hat trick in a single season for the Galaxy.
· Buddle’s second goal was the 60th of his MLS career.
· Steve Cronin tallied his second career shutout in the game. Cronin’s only other clean sheet, which was the first of his career, came in the Galaxy’s home opener this season when he made two saves in a 2-0 win over San Jose.
· Ante Jazic had the first two assists of his MLS career in the game, assisting on both the second and third goals of the game for LA.
· Ely Allen also collected the first assist of his career in the game, helping to set up the Galaxy’s second goal.
· Josh Tudela also picked up his first assist of the season in the game, setting up the game’s opening goal.
· Today’s game was the second straight in which the Galaxy had scored inside the opening 10 minutes. The last time that LA had scored before the 10 minute mark in consecutive games was in the 1999 season. On August 14, 1999, Ezra Hendrickson scored in the 7th minute of a 2-0 home win over Dallas. One week later, Carlos Hermosillo scored in the eighth minute of a 4-1 win over the MetroStars (now New York Red Bulls) at the Rose Bowl.
· David Beckham exited the game in the 88th minute and was replaced by Troy Roberts. It was the first time this season that Beckham did not play the full 90 minutes in a game in which he appeared.
· Troy Roberts was opposed on the field by his brother Jamil Roberts, an Earthquakes rookie, marking the first time that the two had faced one another in MLS play.
· The attendance for tonight’s game is 39,872. That is the largest single-game attendance in San Jose history.
· The Galaxy are back in action on Saturday, June 21 when they host former head coach Sigi Schmid and the Columbus at The Home Depot Center. The game will kick off at 7:30 p.m. can be seen live on FSN Prime Ticket.The match will also be available live on the radio starting at 7:30 on both AM 570 (English) and ESPN Deportes Radio 1330 KWKW (Spanish).
Saturday, June 14, 2008
LA Galaxy 3, San Jose Earthquakes 0