LA Galaxy 2, Puerto Rico Islanders 1
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Juan Ramon Loubriel Stadium – Bayamon, Puerto Rico
CONCACAF Champions League Preliminary Round - Second Leg
Puerto Rico win 5-3 on aggregate
PR – David Foley (Penalty Kick) 33’
LA – Own Goal (Marco Velez) 37’
LA - Sean Franklin (Edson Buddle) 84'
LA – Alex Cazumba (Yellow Card) 4’
PR – Osei Telesford (Yellow Card) 5’
LA – Edson Buddle (Yellow Card) 11’
LA – Donovan Ricketts (Yellow Card) 32’
LA – Alan Gordon (Yellow Card) 64’
LA Galaxy: Donovan Ricketts; Sean Franklin, Omar Gonzalez, Leonardo, Todd Dunivant; Dema Kovalenko, Alex Cazumba (Eddie Lewis 82'), Landon Donovan©, Bryan Jordan (Alan Gordon 57’); Edson Buddle, Tristan Bowen (Mike Magee 68’).
Subs Not Used: Josh Saunders, A.J. DeLaGarza, Jovan Kirovski, Chris Klein.
Puerto Rico Islanders: Bill Gaudette; Scott Jones (Kevon Villaroel 45’), David Horst, Marco Velez, Ricahrd Martinez; Osei Telesford, Christopher Nurse, David Foley (Kendall Jagdeosingh 84'), Joshua Hansen, Noah Delgado© (Logan Emory 70’); Nicholas Addelery.
Subs Not Used: Cody Laurendi, Alexis Rivera, Sandy Gbandi, Jonathan Fana, Keon Daniel.
• With the 2-1 win, the Galaxy are eliminated from the CONCACAF Champions League 5-3 on aggregate.
• Bruce Arena made seven changes to the starting lineup that he used in the first game of the series— Donovan Ricketts started in goal in place of Josh Saunders, while Tristan Bowen, Alex Cazumba, Todd Dunivant, Bryan Jordan, Dema Kovalenko and Omar Gonzalez started in place of Chris Birchall, Gregg Berhalter, A.J. DeLaGarza Alan Gordon, Juninho and Eddie Lewis.
• Midfielder Mike Magee made his first appearance in game since May 29 in Columbus, when the Galaxy beat the Crew, 2-0. He came in the 68th minute for Tristan Bowen and played 22 minutes. Magee underwent bilateral sport hernia surgery in Germany in late June.
• The Islanders struck first in the 32nd minute, with a penalty kick from David Foley. The goal gave Puerto Rico a 1-0 lead in the game and a 5-1 lead on aggregate. The goal was Foley’s second in the series-- he also scored the first goal in the first leg last week.
• Three minutes later, LA equalized the game with an own goal in the 37th minute. The goal was the result of a bad clearing attempt that deflected off of defender Marco Velez and into the Islanders’ own net. David Horst was the Puerto Rico player who was attempting to clear the ball, a shot on target from Landon Donovan.
• The Galaxy completed the comeback in the 84th minute with a goal from Sean Franklin. Edson Buddle was credited with an assist on the play.
• The goal was Franklin's first career goal with the club in an official competition. It was also the 500th goal scored in CONCACAF Champions League history.
• The win snapped a three-game winless streak the Galaxy had accumulated in the last two weeks-- starting with a 2-2 draw with San Jose on July 22, a 4-1 loss to Puerto Rico on July 27 and a 3-2 loss to Chicago on August 1.
• Much like last week, the Galaxy dominated the shots on goal category, 7-3.
• Puerto Rico goalkeeper Bill Gaudette was huge once again for the Islanders, he finished the game with six saves.
• The attendance for today’s game was 12,500.
• The Galaxy are back in action on Saturday, August 7 when they host Real Madrid in an international friendly at the Rose Bowl. That game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. (PT) and can be seen live on Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Sports en Espanol.
• For more about today’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Posted by LA Galaxy at 8:54 PM