LA Galaxy 0, Chivas USA 0
April 11, 2009
The Home Depot Center – Carson, Calif.
LA – Stefani Miglioranzi (Yellow Card) 15’
CHV – Paulo Nagamura (Yellow Card) 25’
LA – Eddie Lewis (Yellow Card) 26’
CHV – Sacha Kljestan (Yellow Card) 33’
CHV – Shavar Thomas (Yellow Card) 36’
CHV – Paulo Nagamura (Red Card/2nd Yellow) 45’
LA – Alan Gordon (Yellow Card) 68’
LA – Alan Gordon (Red Card/2nd Yellow) 71’
LA – Gregg Berhalter (Red Card) 79’
LA Galaxy: Donovan Ricketts, Eddie Lewis, Gregg Berhalter (Sent Off 79’), Omar Gonzalez, A.J. DeLaGarza (Bryan Jordan 61’), Josh Tudela, Stefani Miglioranzi (Jovan Kirovski 58’), Sean Franklin, Chris Klein (Tony Sanneh 81’), Alan Gordon (Sent Off 71’), Landon Donovan©.
Subs Not Used: Josh Saunders, Yohance Marshall, Kyle Patterson, Mike Magee.
Chivas USA: Zach Thornton, Jonathan Bornstein, Carey Talley, Shavar Thomas, Mariano Trujillo (Chukwudi Chijindu 87’), Jesse Marsch©, Paulo Nagamura (Sent Off 45’), Gerson Mayen (Bojan Stepanovic 46’), Sacha Kljestan, Atiba Harris, Eduardo Lillingston (Alecko Eskandarian 46’).
Subs Not Used: Lance Parker, Jim Curtin, Michael Lahoud, Jorge Flores.
· With the draw, the Galaxy are now 0-1-2 on the season, leaving them with two points. They remain tied for sixth place in the Western Conference with Houston, eight points behind the leaders Chivas USA, who have 10 points from four games this year.
· Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena made four changes to his lineup from the 3-2 loss to Colorado last weekend. Gregg Berhalter and Donovan Ricketts each made their MLS debuts and first starts in the game while A.J. DeLaGarza was brought back into the starting lineup. They replaced Josh Saunders, Tony Sanneh and Kyle Patterson, all of who were on the bench. Additionally, Stefani Miglioranzi had his first start of the season in place of Dema Kovalenko who was suspended.
· In addition to Kovalenko, the Galaxy were also without Edson Buddle, Todd Dunivant and Leonard Griffin who missed the game through injury.
· This was just the second scoreless draw in the history of the Honda SuperClasico. The first came on July 15, 2006 in the third game of the series, which the Galaxy went on to win.
· The shutout was the Galaxy’s first in an MLS match since June 14, 2008 when they defeated San Jose 3-0 at Oakland Alameda Coliseum. Since then, the Galaxy had allowed at least one goal in 20 straight league matches.
· Ricketts joins Joe Cannon and Kevin Hartman as the only three goalkeepers in Galaxy history to earn a clean sheet in their first ever start for the club. Hartman beat Kansas City on May 25, 1997 while Joe Cannon was in goal for a 0-0 draw with Houston on April 8, 2007.
· Alan Gordon was sent off in the 71st minute after receiving his second yellow card. That card made this the second SuperClasico in the history of the series to see a player sent off from each side, following Paulo Nagamura’s first half red card for Chivas USA.
· Eight minutes later, Gregg Berhalter was sent off, leaving the Galaxy to play with nine men. Berhalter was making his MLS debut in the game and became just the seventh player in league history to be shown a red card in his MLS debut.
· This was the first time in Galaxy history that the club had two players sent off in the same game. Coming into this game the Galaxy had received 40 red cards in the club’s history, but never two in the same game.
· The attendance for today’s game was 23,317.
· The Galaxy are back in action next Saturday night when they play their first road game of 2009, traveling north to play the San Jose Earthquakes. That game will be played at Oakland Alameda Coliseum and will be shown live on FS West beginning at 7:30 p.m.
· For more about this afternoon’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.
Saturday, April 11, 2009
LA Galaxy 0, Chivas USA 0