LA Galaxy 1, Colorado Rapids 1
April 25, 2009
Dick’s Sporting Goods Park – Commerce City, Colo.
COL – Colin Clark (Omar Cummings, Mehdi Ballouchy) 60’
LA – Landon Donovan (Chris Klein) 82'
LA – None
COL – None
LA Galaxy: Donovan Ricketts, Todd Dunivant, Gregg Berhalter, Omar Gonzalez, Sean Franklin, Stefani Miglioranzi, Dema Kovalenko (Edson Buddle 69'), Chris Klein (Bryan Jordan 89’), Alan Gordon (Jovan Kirovski 88’), Landon Donovan©.
Subs Not Used: Josh Saunders, Tony Sanneh, A.J. DeLaGarza, Josh Tudela.
Colorado Rapids: Preston Burpo, Jordan Harvey, Scott Palguta, Ugo Ihemelu, Kosuke Kimura (Nick LaBrocca 44’), Terry Cooke (Jacob Peterson 72’), Medi Ballouchy, Pablo Mastroeni©, Colin Clark, Conor Casey, Omar Cummings.
Subs Not Used: Matt Pickens, Greg Dalby, Michael Holody, Ivan Guerrero, Ross Schunk.
• With the draw, the Galaxy are now 0-1-4 on the season, leaving them with four points. They move into a tie with FC Dallas for seventh place in the Western Conference, nine points behind the leaders Chivas USA, who have 13 points from six games this year.
• Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena made three changes to his lineup from the 1-1 draw to San Jose last weekend. Gregg Berhalter and Alan Gordon returned from one-game suspensions, while Colorado native Todd Dunivant made his first start of the season. It is the most experienced lineup the Galaxy have used this season as only Gonzalez (1) and Franklin (2) have less then five years of professional experience.
• The Galaxy were without Leonard Griffin and Yohance Marshall, who are both on the Disabled List, while Kyle Patterson and Tristan Bowen also missed the game through injury.
• All-time the Galaxy are just 7-15-4 in Colorado, with their last win coming on July 13, 2002 when Danny Califf, Ezra Hendrickson and Carlos Ruiz all scored in a 3-1 win over the Rapids. Since that game, the Galaxy have played 12 regular season league games in Colorado, going 0-8-4 and have been outscored 18-4 in those matches.
• In the 60th minute, Colorado’s Colin Clark scored his first goal of the season and his fourth career goal against the Galaxy, tying him with Conor Casey for second all-time in scoring for the Rapids versus the Galaxy. Former Galaxy Director of Soccer and current Rapids Technical Director Paul Bravo (6 goals) has the most goal vs. LA in Rapids history.
• In the 69th minute the Galaxy’s second leading scorer with a career-best 15 goals last season, Edson Buddle returned to the field after missing the first four games of the season.
• Todd Dunivant was issued a red card in the 74th minute for a tackle on Colorado’s Omar Cummings, who was dribbling in alone on the goal. Following a protest from the Galaxy, referee Alex Prus consulted his assistant on the near side who had a better view of the play and determined that there was not a foul and therefore Dunivant remained on the field.
• Landon Donovan tallied his team-best third goal of the season, to go along with his three assists, knocking in a cross from Chris Klein. Donovan has factored in all six of the Galaxy’s goals this season. This is the third straight season in which he has been constantly involved in the Galaxy attack at the start of the season. In 2007, Donovan scored or assisted on each of the Galaxy’s first seven goals, while in 2008 he scored or assisted on each of the Galaxy’s first eight goals
• The attendance for today’s game was 12,180.
• The Galaxy are back in action next Saturday night when they play host to MLS Cup finalist New York Red Bulls on Saturday, May 2 at The Home Depot Center.
• For more about this afternoon’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.
Saturday, April 25, 2009
LA Galaxy 1, Colorado Rapids 1