LA Galaxy 5, D.C. United 2
September 20, 2008
The Home Depot Center – Carson, Calif.
DC – Devon McTavish 1 (Ivan Guerrero 4) 2’
LA – Landon Donovan 17 (Chris Klein 4) 23’
LA – Landon Donovan 18 (David Beckham 9) 35
LA – Alan Gordon 5 (Unassisted) 38’
DC – Thabiso Khumalo 1 (Gonzalo Martinez 2) 48’
LA – Peter Vagenas 1 (Landon Donovan 8) 81’
LA – Landon Donovan 19 (Chris Klein 5) 92+
LA – David Beckham (Yellow Card) 20’
DC – Clyde Simms (Yellow Card) 33’
LA – Alan Gordon (Yellow Card) 56’
DC – Marc Burch (Red Card) 63’
LA Galaxy: Josh Wicks, Chris Klein, Sean Franklin, Troy Roberts, Ante Jazic (Joe Franchino 87’), Greg Vanney (Brandon McDonald 80’), Eddie Lewis, David Beckham©, Landon Donovan, Edson Buddle, Alan Gordon (Peter Vagenas 62’).
Subs Not Used: Josh Saunders, Julian Valentin, Ely Allen, Bryan Jordan.
D.C. United: Louis Crayton, Bryan Namoff, Gonzalo Martinez (Ryan Cordeiro 79’), Devon McTavish, Marc Burch, Clyde Simms, Ivan Guerrero, Fred, Santino Quaranta (Rod Dyachenko 83’), Thabiso Khamalo, Luciano Emilio© (Francis Doe 87’).
Subs Not Used: Zach Wells, Mike Zaher, Quavas Kirk, Craig Thompson.
· With the win, the Galaxy are now 7-10-8 on the season, leaving them on 29 points and in a tie for fifth place in the Western Conference with the San Jose Earthquakes. Both teams are now two points behind Real Salt Lake and the Colorado Rapids for the third and final guaranteed playoff spot in the West.
· The win snaps the Galaxy’s 12-game winless streak, which had been the longest in club history. The Galaxy were 0-6-6 during the streak and were outscored 28-16, allowing two or more goals in 10 of the 12 games.
· The win is also Bruce Arena’s first career win with the Galaxy.
· Bruce Arena made one change to the team that lost 2-0 against the Kansas City Wizards last weekend, with Alan Gordon replacing Bryan Jordon in the starting XI.
· With his three goals tonight, Landon Donovan now has two hat tricks this season, tying him with Edson Buddle for the most in MLS this season.
· Donovan now has 19 goals in the season, tying him with Cobi Jones for the third-best single season goal tally in club history. Donovan now only trails Carlos Ruiz (24 goals in 2002) and Eduardo Hurtado (21 goals in 1996) for the most goals in a season for the Galaxy.
· Alan Gordon’s goal just before halftime was his fifth of the season. He is the fourth different Galaxy player this season to score five or more goals.
· Peter Vagenas goal in the 81st minute was his first goal of the season and his first for the club in MLS competition since September 30, 2006 in a 3-0 win over Chivas USA. He is the ninth different Galaxy player to score this season.
· Chris Klein started for the 110th consecutive game, extending his own MLS record. He is the only Galaxy player to appear in all 25 of the club’s games so far.
· Josh Wicks posted his first win as an MLS goalkeeper.
· Defender Eduardo Dominguez missed his second straight game while in Argentina with his wife, who gave birth to the couple’s first child on Monday.
· Joe Franchino entered the game in the 87th minute, replacing Ante Jazic. It was his first appearance since July 10, a 1-1 draw with Chivas USA. He missed the last two months with an ankle injury.
· With his 20th minute yellow card, David Beckham has now been booked four times this season. If he receives a yellow card in any of his next three games, Beckham will receive an automatic one match suspension.
· Alan Gordon also picked up his fourth booking of the year in the 56th minute, leaving him one card away from a mandatory one match ban.
· Devon McTavish’s 2nd minute goal for D.C. United was the fastest goal allowed by the Galaxy this season and tied the mark for the fourth fastest. Three times in their history the Galaxy have allowed a goal in the first minute. Before tonight they had allowed a second minute goal just once.
· The attendance for tonight’s game was a sellout of 27,000. It was the sixth consecutive home sellout for the Galaxy and their ninth in 13 home games this season.
· For more about tonight’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.
· The Galaxy are back in action at home on Thursday, September 25, 2008, when they take on the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Ill. The match will kick off at 6 p.m. (PT) and can be seen live on ESPN2. The match will also be available live on the radio on KWKW 1330 ESPN Deportes (Spanish) and at lagalaxy.com.
Saturday, September 20, 2008
LA Galaxy 5, D.C. United 2