LA Galaxy 2, Chivas USA 2
August 14, 2008
The Home Depot Center – Carson, Calif.
LA – Landon Donovan 14 (Chris Klein 3) 8’
CHV – Atiba Harris 2 (Paulo Nagamura 3) 50’
CHV – Paulo Nagamura 2 (Atiba Harris 4) 63’
LA – Alan Gordon 4 (Ante Jazic 3) 92+
CHV – Jesse Marsch (Yellow Card) 59’
LA – David Beckham (Yellow Card) 61’
LA – Ely Allen (Yellow Card) 74’
CHV – Paulo Nagamura (Yellow Card) 85’
CHV – Carey Talley (Yellow Card) 92+
LA Galaxy: Steve Cronin, Chris Klein, Greg Vanney, Sean Franklin, Ante Jazic, Alvaro Pires (Alan Gordon 74’), Peter Vagenas, Ely Allen (Mike Randolph 82’), David Beckham©, Landon Donovan, Edson Buddle (Carlos Ruiz 87’).
Subs Not Used: Josh Wicks, Eduardo Dominguez, Josh Tudela, Mike Munoz.
Chivas USA: Zach Thornton, Carey Talley, Bobby Burling, Shavar Thomas (Jim Curtin 78’), Francisco Mendoza, Keith Savage (Maykel Galindo 64’), Jesse Marsch©, Paulo Nagamura, Daniel Paladini, Justin Braun (Roberto Nurse 18’), Atiba Harris.
Subs Not Used: Dan Kennedy, Eric Ebert, Kraig Chiles, Anthony Hamilton.
· With the draw, the Galaxy are now 6-8-6 on the season leaving them with 24 points. The Galaxy remain in fourth place in the Western Conference, one point behind third place FC Dallas and one point ahead fifth place Chivas USA.
· Tonight’s game was Cobi Jones’ first game in charge as the Galaxy’s interim head coach. He is just the second interim head coach in Galaxy history, following Ralph Perez who won his only game in charge during the 1999 season.
· Jones made one change to his starting lineup from the Galaxy’s last game, a 3-2 loss at San Jose on August 3. Alvaro Pires was brought back into the starting lineup, replacing Alan Gordon who began the game on the bench.
· With the draw, the Galaxy’s season-long winless streak has been stretched to eight games. The Galaxy are 0-4-4 in those eight games and have been outscored 21-12 in that stretch, allowing two or more goals in seven of the eight games.
· With the draw, the Galaxy won the Honda SuperClasico trophy, which is the season series between the Galaxy and Chivas USA. The Galaxy won once and earned draws in the other two matches, for five points compared to the two for Chivas USA. The Galaxy have now won the Honda SuperClasico in three of the four years that the competition has been contested.
· Landon Donovan scored the game’s opening goal in the eighth minute to regain sole possession of the MLS lead in goals. The goal was Donovan’s career-best 14th goal of the season, one more than FC Dallas’ Kenny Cooper.
· Alan Gordon’s game-tying goal in the second minute of second half stoppage time was his fourth of the season, tying a career-high. Three of his four goals have come against Chivas USA.
· Gordon’s goal was the second time this season that the Galaxy have scored a second half stoppage time goal to turn a defeat into a tie. Landon Donovan also scored in the 92nd minute to give LA a 2-2 draw in New York on July 19.
· The attendance for today’s game was 27,000.
· The Galaxy are back in action on Thursday, August 21, when they take on the Chicago Fire at The Home Depot Center. The match will kick off at 7:30 p.m. (PT) and can be seen live on ESPN2. The match will also be available live on the radio in English on 1150 AM and in Spanish on KWKW 1330 ESPN Deportes.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
LA Galaxy 2, Chivas USA 2