LA Galaxy 0, Chicago Fire 1
August 21, 2008
The Home Depot Center – Carson, Calif.
CHI – John Thorrington 5 (Brian McBride 1) 65’
CHI – Bakary Soumare (Yellow Card) 40’
CHI – Brandon Prideaux (Yellow Card) 74’
LA – Josh Tudela (Yellow Card) 92+
LA Galaxy: Steve Cronin, Sean Franklin, Troy Roberts, Greg Vanney, Ante Jazic, Alvaro Pires (Josh Tudela 50’), Peter Vagenas, Chris Klein©, Ely Allen (Mike Randolph 67’), Edson Buddle, Alan Gordon (Israel Sesay 86’).
Subs Not Used: Josh Wicks, Eduardo Dominguez, Julian Valentin, Mike Munoz.
Chicago Fire: Jon Busch, Brandon Prideaux, Wilman Conde, Bakary Soumare, Diego Gutierrez, Logan Pause©, John Thorrington, Stephen King (Andy Herron 63’), Patrick Nyarko (Justin Mapp 22’), Chris Rolfe (Dasan Robinson 90’), Brian McBride.
Subs Not Used: Nick Noble, Lider Marmol, Mike Banner, Tomasz Frankowski.
· With the loss, the Galaxy are now to 6-9-6 on the season and remain on 24 points. They remain tied for fourth place in the Western Conference with the Colorado Rapids who play at D.C. United on Saturday. LA is still eight points behind the first place Houston Dynamo.
· This game marks Bruce Arena’s first game as Galaxy head coach. He is the seventh head coach in Galaxy history. He is the fourth consecutive Galaxy head coach who has failed to win in his debut with the club.
· Arena made two changes to the lineup that played to a 2-2 draw last Thursday against Chivas USA. Alan Gordon, who scored the game-tying goal late in the game was back in the starting lineup, as was Troy Roberts who was making his first appearance in more than a month after recovering from a heel injury. They replaced David Beckham and Landon Donovan.
· Landon Donovan and Eddie Lewis were not available for the Galaxy after having played for the U.S. National Team on Wednesday night in Guatemala.
· David Beckham was not available for selection after having played for England on Wednesday against the Czech Republic.
· This is just the second time this season that the Galaxy have played without both Beckham and Donovan and the first time that neither of them have been in the 18-man squad.
· With both Beckham and Donovan out of the lineup, Chris Klein wore the captain’s armband for the second time this season. He was also the Galaxy captain in the 2-0 loss at Toronto FC on May 31.
· Today’s game was scoreless at the half, which was just the second time this year that the opening 45 minutes of a Galaxy game finished 0-0. The only other time was in the 2-0 loss at Toronto FC on May 31.
· Josh Tudela came on in the 50th minute when he replace Alvaro Pires. It was his first appearance since June 29 at D.C. United.
· Israel Sesay entered the game in the 86th minute, making his 2008 debut. It was the second game of Sesay’s MLS career after playing the final minute a game against Chivas USA on September 13, 2007. At 17-years of age, he is the youngest player on the Galaxy roster.
· The Fire’s John Thorrington, a native of Palos Verdes, Calif., has now scored in each of his last two games against the Galaxy. He also scored the game’s opening goal in Chicago’s 1-0 win over the Galaxy in the final game of the 2007 season.
· The Galaxy’s winless streak is now at nine games, setting the mark for the second longest winless streak in club history. During this current streak, the Galaxy are 0-5-4 and have been outscored 22-12.
· The attendance for tonight’s game was 27,000. This is the fourth consecutive home sellout for the Galaxy and the seventh in 11 home games this year.
· For more about tonight’s game, please visit http://www.lagalaxy.com/.
· The Galaxy are back in action on Saturday, August 30, when travel East to take on the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium. The match will kick off at 4:30 p.m. (PT) and can be seen live on FSN West and HDNet. The match will also be available live on the radio starting on AM 570 (English) and KWKW 1330 ESPN Deportes (Spanish).
Thursday, August 21, 2008
LA Galaxy 0, Chicago Fire 1