LA Galaxy 2, San Jose Earthquakes 3
August 3, 2008
McAfee Coliseum – Oakland, Calif.
SJ – Arturo Alvarez 4 (Scott Sealy 1, Darren Huckerby 1) 8’
SJ – Darren Huckerby 2 (Eric Denton 1) 40’
LA – Landon Donovan 13 (David Beckham 8) 42’
LA – Edson Buddle 12 (Unassisted) 76’
SJ – Ryan Cochrane 1 (Unassisted) 90’
SJ – Ryan Cochrane (Yellow Card) 46’
LA – Landon Donovan (Yellow Card) 73’
LA Galaxy: Steve Cronin, Chris Klein (Carlos Ruiz 76’), Greg Vanney, Sean Franklin, Ante Jazic, Peter Vagenas, Ely Allen (Mike Randolph 46’), David Beckham©, Landon Donovan, Edson Buddle, Alan Gordon.
Subs Not Used: Josh Wicks, Eduardo Dominguez, Alvaro Pires, Mike Munoz.
FC Dallas: Joe Cannon, Jason Hernandez, Ryan Cochrane, Nick Garcia©, Eric Denton, Francisco Lima, Ramiro Corrales, Ronnie O’Brien (Ryan Johnson 82’), Arturo Alvarez, Darren Huckerby, Scott Sealy (Jovan Kirovski 92+).
Subs Not Used: Michael Gustavson, James Riley, Kelly Gray, Shea Salinas, John Cunliffe.
· With the loss, the Galaxy are now 6-8-5 on the season leaving them with 23 points. They are now in fourth place in the Western Conference, four points behind first place Real Salt Lake, three points behind the Houston Dynamo and two points behind FC Dallas.
· Ruud Gullit made three changes to his starting from last weekend’s 4-0 loss at FC Dallas. Sean Franklin was brought in to central defense in place of Eduardo Dominguez, while Ely Allen was added to the midfield in place of Alvaro Pires and Alan Gordon started up front instead of Carlos Ruiz.
· Brandon McDonald was originally in the starting lineup in central midfield, but was a late scratch because of a recurrence of a foot problem that had kept him out of the lineup for the past month and a half. He was replaced in the starting lineup by Peter Vagenas.
· Midfielder Mike Munoz was in the 18-man squad for the first time this season after being signed by the club on Friday. He did not play in the match.
· Landon Donovan’s 42nd minute goal was his 13th of the season, setting a new career-high. Donovan is now tied for the MLS lead in goals with 13, equal to the number scored by FC Dallas forward Kenny Cooper who scored twice this afternoon in Toronto.
· Buddle’s goal in the 76th minute was his 12th of the season, setting a new career-high.
· David Beckham’s assist on Donovan’s goal was his eighth of the season, good for the most on the Galaxy and the second most in MLS.
· The Galaxy are now winless in their last seven games, going 0-4-3 over the span with losses to D.C. United, FC Dallas, New England and San Jose, as well as draws with Chivas USA, Columbus and New York. They have allowed two or more goals in six of those seven games. This ties the mark for the fourth longest winless streak in club history.
· Two of the three players who scored for the Earthquakes in today's game were not on the San Jose roster the last time these two teams played on June 14, a 3-0 Galaxy win.
· The attendance for today’s game was 26,071.
· After the game, the entire Galaxy squad will bus to Santa Clara University for a Reserve Division match against the Earthquakes. The two sides played a Reserve Division game in April, with San Jose winning 2-1.
· The Galaxy are back in action on Thursday, August 14, when they take on Chivas USA in the third and final installment of the Honda SuperClasico at The Home Depot Center. The match will kick off at 8 p.m. (PT) and can be seen live on ESPN2. The match will also be available live on the radio in English on 1150 AM and in Spanish on KWKW 1330 ESPN Deportes.
Sunday, August 3, 2008
LA Galaxy 2, San Jose Earthquakes 3