LA Galaxy 1, FC Dallas 0
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Pizza Hut Park — Frisco, Texas
LA – Mike Magee 1 (Tristan Bowen 1, Chris Klein 1) 17’
FCD – Ugo Ihemelu (Yellow Card) 28’
LA – Mike Magee (Yellow Card) 31’
LA – Michael Stephens (Yellow Card) 35’
FCD – Brek Shea (Yellow Card) 42’
LA Galaxy: Donovan Ricketts; Todd Dunivant, Gregg Berhalter©, Omar Gonzalez, A.J. DeLaGarza; Chris Birchall, Michael Stephens, Juninho, Chris Klein (Sean Franklin 70’); Tristan Bowen (Clint Mathis 65’), Mike Magee (Jovan Kirovski 74’).
Subs Not Used: Josh Saunders, Alex Cazumba, Yohance Marshall, Eddie Lewis.
FC Dallas: Kevin Hartman; Jair Benitez, Ugo Ihemelu, George John, Zach Loyd (Bryan Leyva 77’); Daniel Hernandez, Dax McCarty, Brek Shea (Marvin Chavez 72’), David Ferreira, Atiba Harris; Jeff Cunningham (Eric Avila 63’).
Subs Not Used: Dario Sala, Anthony Wallace, Edson Edward, Jason Yeisley.
• With the win, the Galaxy are now 8-0-2 on the season, giving them 26 points. They remain alone in first place in the Western Conference and are now 13 points ahead of second place Colorado, Houston, Real Salt Lake and San Jose who each have 13 points.
• LA is now nine points ahead of the Eastern Conference leading Columbus Crew, who defeated New York 3-1 earlier in the night for the best record in MLS. The Crew are 5-0-3 for 18 points this season.
• Bruce Arena made five changes to the team that played to a 0-0 ddraw with Toronto FC on Saturday night. Donovan Ricketts, A.J. DeLaGarza, Chris Klein and Mike Magee all return to the starting XI while Tristan Bowen makes the first start of his MLS career. They replace Josh Saunders, Bryan Jordan, Jovan Kirovski, Landon Donovan and Edson Buddle.
• Jordan did not dress for the game because of a right hamstring strain that he suffered in the second half of Saturday’s game with Toronto FC.
• In addition to Jordan, the Galaxy were without Alan Gordon, Dema Kovalenko and Leonardo, who all missed the game through injury and Edson Buddle and Landon Donovan who are in training camp with the U.S. National Team ahead of next month’s FIFA 2010 World Cup.
• Eddie Lewis was back in the 18-man squad for the first time since the season opening win over New England on March 27 when he suffered a left foot contusion. He had missed the last eight games because of the injury.
• Second year defender Yohance Marshall was in the 18-man squad for the first time this season after being recalled from his loan with the Austin Aztex of the U.S.S.F. Division 2 Pro League. Marshall has played six games with the Aztex, who currently have a league-best 14 points through seven games this season. Marshall scored his first goal for the club on Wednesday night, playing the full 90 minutes in a 3-3 draw with Tampa Bay. He flew from Austin to Dallas on Thursday morning and will accompany the team back to Los Angeles for the friendly against Boca Juniors on Sunday.
• Tristan Bowen made the first start of his MLS career in the game. He was the first player in MLS history signed directly from a club’s Youth Academy when he joined the Galaxy late in the 2008 season.
• Mike Magee scored his first goal of the season in the 17th minute of the game. He is the eighth different player to score for LA this season.
• Tristan Bowen and Chris Klein each provided their first assist of the season on the goal.
• The assist was the first of Bowen’s MLS career.
• Bowen played 65 minutes before being replaced by Clint Mathis. This was the longest appearance of his MLS career.
• Sean Franklin made his first appearance since April 17 when he had to leave the Galaxy’s 2-1 win over Real Salt Lake with a right ankle sprain. He missed the last five games because of the injury, but was on the substitute’s bench on Saturday night against Toronto FC.
• The Galaxy have now scored first in eight of their 10 games this season, going 8-0-0 in those contests.
• The Galaxy remain one of two undefeated teams in MLS with an 8-0-2 record. Columbus is in first place in the Eastern Conference with a 5-0-2 mark.
• The Galaxy are now unbeaten in their last 13 regular season games, going 10-0-3 in those contests dating back to the end of the 2009 season. This is the second longest unbeaten streak in club history, with only a 15-game streak from September 1997 until May 1998 topping that mark.
• The Galaxy have allowed just two goals during this unbeaten streak and have not trailed at any point during it.
• Mike Magee and Michael Stephens were each booked in the first half for LA. It was Stephens’ second yellow card of the year and Magee’s first.
• Omar Gonzalez and Juninho each entered the game with three yellow cards, two away from a mandatory one game suspension, but neither was booked. Edson Buddle has four yellow cards, leaving him one card away from a one game suspension but he did not play in the game.
• Goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts made three saves for his seventh clean sheet in nine games this season. Ricketts now has an MLS-best 0.22 goals against average, allowing just two goals in 810 minutes of action.
• The shutout was the Galaxy’s fourth straight and eighth in 10 games this season. The Galaxy have not allowed a goal in the last 366 minutes of play dating back to May 1.
• The Galaxy set a new MLS record for the fewest goals allowed in the first 10 games of a season with two and tied the record set by the 2000 Kansas City Wizards for the most clean sheets in the first 10 games of the year with eight.
• The win was the Galaxy’s first in Dallas since a 5-1 victory on May 18, 2008 when Edson Buddle had a hat trick.
• FC Dallas lost at home for the first time since June 13, 2009.
• The attendance for today’s game was 10,947.
• The Galaxy are back in action on Sunday evening when they host Argentine giants Boca Juniors in a friendly at The Home Depot Center. The game kicks off at 5 p.m. (PT) and can be seen live on FOX Sports West in English and Galavision in Spanish. Additionally, the game will be available on the radio in English on KTLK 1150 AM and in Spanish on KWKU 1220 AM.
• They return to MLS action on Saturday, May 29 when they travel to Columbus to take on the Eastern Conference leading Columbus Crew.
• For more about today’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
LA Galaxy 1, FC Dallas 0