Game highlight's: MLSSoccer.com
LA Galaxy 3, Philadelphia Union 1
Saturday, May 1, 2010
The Home Depot Center — Carson, Calif.
LA – A.J. DeLaGarza 1 (Edson Buddle 1, Michael Stephens 1) 1’
LA – Edson Buddle 8 (Unassisted) 27’
LA – Edson Buddle 9 (Landon Donovan 5, Michael Stephens 2) 45’
PHI – Jack McInerney 1 (Fred 1) 84’
PHI – Stefani Miglioranzi (Red Card) 47+
PHI – Kyle Nakazawa (Yellow Card) 73’
LA – Omar Gonzalez (Yellow Card) 77’
LA Galaxy: Donovan Ricketts; Todd Dunivant, Gregg Berhalter, Omar Gonzalez, A.J. DeLaGarza; Chris Birchall, Landon Donovan©, Juninho (Alex Cazumba 62’), Michael Stephens; Alan Gordon (Clint Mathis 70’), Edson Buddle (Tristan Bowen 74’).
Subs Not Used: Josh Saunders, Alex Cazumba, Chris Klein, Jovan Kirovski, Bryan Jordan.
Philadelphia Union: Chris Seitz; Jordan Harvey (Amobi Okugo 74’), Michael Orozco, Danny Califf©, Cristian Arrieta; Andrew Jacobson (Kyle Nakazawa 62’), Stefani Miglioranzi (Sent Off 47+), Roger Torres (Jack McInerney 56’), Shea Salinas; Fred, Alejandro Moreno.
Subs Not Used: Brad Knighton, Toni Stahl, Nick Zimmerman, Danny Mwanga.
• With the win, the Galaxy are now 5-0-1 on the season, giving them 16 points. They remain alone in first place in the Western Conference, six points ahead of second place Colorado who lost 1-0 at San Jose earlier on the night.
• LA is one point ahead of the Eastern Conference leading New York Red Bulls for the best record in MLS. The Red Bulls are 5-1-0 for 15 points.
• Bruce Arena made one change to the team that played to a 0-0 draw with Kansas City last weekend. Alan Gordon made his first start of the season in place of Mike Magee, who missed out because of tightness in his right hip. Magee had started each of the first five games of the season before missing out tonight.
• Gordon was making his first regular season start since the 2-0 loss to Seattle at The Home Depot Center on August 15, 2009.
• With Gordon in the starting lineup, Clint Mathis claimed a spot on the bench for the first time this season.
• In addition to Magee, the Galaxy were also without Sean Franklin, Dema Kovalenko, Leonardo and Eddie Lewis who all missed the game because of injury.
• A.J. DeLaGarza gave the Galaxy a 1-0 lead just 53 seconds into the game with his first goal of the season. The goal was the third fastest in Galaxy history behind only Clint Mathis who scored 33 seconds into LA’s 2-1 win over Kansas City on July 25, 1999 and Brian Mullan, who scored 39 seconds into a 4-4 draw at Tampa Bay on May 9, 2001.
• DeLaGarza’s goal was the first by a Galaxy player other than Edson Buddle this season, though Buddle did assist on the goal.
• Michael Stephens also provided an assist on DeLaGarza’s goal for the first assist of his MLS career.
• Buddle added two goals in the 27th and 45th minutes of the game to give him nine goals on the season.
• He has now scored twice in four of LA’s six games this season.
• Landon Donovan assisted on Buddle’s second goal for his MLS-best fifth assist of the year.
• Stephens also assisted on that goal for his second assist of the game and the season.
• Clint Mathis replaced Alan Gordon in the 70th minute for his first appearance in a Galaxy uniform during a regular season game since May 6, 2000.
• Tristan Bowen also made his 2010 debut, replacing Buddle in the 74th minute.
• The attendance for today’s game was 15,453.
• The Galaxy are back in action on Wednesday night when they travel to Denver to take on the Colorado Rapids at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The game kicks off at 6:30 p.m. and can be heard live in English on lagalaxy.com and in Spanish on ESPN Deportes Radio 1330 AM starting with their pregame shows at 6 p.m. FS West will carry the game on tape delay, starting with the Galaxy Live pregame show at 7:30 p.m., with the game following at 8 p.m.
• For more about today’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.