Watch video highlights here: MLSSoccer.com
View photos here: Facebook.com/LAGalaxy
LA Galaxy 2, Chivas USA 0
Thursday, April 1, 2010
The Home Depot Center — Carson, Calif.
LA – Edson Buddle 2 (Sean Franklin 1, Landon Donovan 2) 7’
LA – Edson Buddle 3 (Landon Donovan 3, Mike Magee 1) 87’
CHV – Michael Umana (Yellow Card) 19’
LA – Chris Birchall (Yellow Card) 25’
LA – Edson Buddle (Yellow Card) 27’
LA – A. J. DeLaGarza (Yellow Card) 88’
LA – Michael Stephens (Yellow Card) 92+
LA Galaxy: Donovan Ricketts; Todd Dunivant, Leonardo, Omar Gonzalez, Sean Franklin; Dema Kovalenko, Alex Cazumba (A.J. DeLaGarza 78’), Juninho (Mike Magee 63’), Chris Birchall (Michael Stephens 88’); Landon Donovan©, Edson Buddle.
Subs Not Used: Josh Saunders, Chris Klein, Bryan Jordan, Tristan Bowen.
Chivas USA: Dan Kennedy; Ante Jazic, Jonathan Bornstein, Michael Umana, Mariano Trujillo; Marcelo Saragosa, Blair Gavin, Sacha Kljestan©, Osael Romero (Jesus Padilla 58’), Justin Braun (Chukwudi Chijindu 81’), Maykel Galindo (Maicon Santos 68’).
Subs Not Used: Zach Thornton, Yamith Cuesta, Jorge Flores, Michael Lahoud.
• With the win, the Galaxy are now 2-0-0 on the season, giving them six points. They are now alone in first place in the Western Conference, two points ahead of the second place Houston Dynamo, who defeated Real Salt Lake 2-1 earlier in the day.
• Bruce Arena made two changes to the team that defeated New England on Saturday in the Galaxy’s season opener. Alex Cazumba started on the left side of midfield in place of the injured Eddie Lewis and Chris Birchall started on the right side of midfield in place of Mike Magee, who was on the bench.
• In addition to Lewis, the Galaxy were also without Gregg Berhalter, Alan Gordon, Jovan Kirovski and Clint Mathis because of injury.
• A.J. DeLaGarza made his 2010 debut for the Galaxy, replacing Alex Cazumba in the 78th minute. He was shown a yellow card 10 minutes after coming on.
• Bryan Jordan made his 2010 debut in the 18-man squad in place of Lewis. Jordan had missed the season opener with a left leg injury. However he did not play.
• With his goal in the seventh minute, Edson Buddle became the first Galaxy player to score in each of the first two games of the season since Carlos Ruiz did so in 2004. Ruiz scored in each of the first two games of all three of his seasons with the Galaxy and holds the Galaxy record for the most consecutive games with a goal to open a season with four. He scored in each of the first four games of 2002 and 2004.
• Buddle is now tied with Real Salt Lake’s Javier Morales for the MLS lead in goals this season with three.
• With his two goals today, Buddle has his first multi-goal game since June 14, 2008 when he scored all three goals in LA’s 3-0 win at San Jose.
• Prior to the first two games of this season, the last time the Galaxy scored in the opening 10 minutes of consecutive MLS regular season games was on June 14 and June 21 of 2008 when Edson Buddle scored in the 6th minute of a 3-0 win at San Jose and Landon Donovan scored in the 4th minute of a 3-3 home draw with Columbus.
• Landon Donovan has now assisted on all three of the Galaxy’s goals this season, making him the MLS leader in assists. In 2008 and 2009, Donovan scored or assisted on each of the Galaxy’s first eight goals of the season and in 2007 he scored or assisted on each of their first seven.
• Sean Franklin also assisted on Buddle’s first goal for his first assist of the season. He recorded one assist in each of his first two seasons in MLS, including one in the second game of the 2009 season.
• Mike Magee collected his first assist of the season on Buddle’s second half goal. Last year he finished tied with Landon Donovan for the Galaxy team lead in assists with six.
• Donovan Ricketts made two saves for his second clean sheet of the season.
• Ricketts now has 11 clean sheets in 28 career regular season games with the Galaxy.
• The Galaxy kept a clean sheet for the second consecutive game. This is the first time in club history that the Galaxy have opened the season with consecutive shutouts.
• LA have now shutout Chivas USA in each of their last four regular season meetings and in five of their last six meetings in all competitions.
• LA is now 2-0-0 for the first time since the 2002 season when they went on to win MLS Cup for the first time in club history.
• The attendance for today’s game was 19,805.
• The Galaxy are back in action next Saturday night when they travel to Houston for their first road game of the season against the Dynamo at Robertson Stadium. The game kicks off at 5:30 p.m. (PT) and can be seen on tape delay beginning at 10 p.m. (PT) on FOX Sports West. KTLK 1150 AM and ESPN Deportes Radio 1330 AM will broadcast the game live on the radio in English and Spanish respectively.
• For more about today’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.