While the team is out on the training field getting ready for Saturday's game against FC Dallas, we thought we would pass on a few off field notes from the past couple of days.
- A big congratulations to Danish tennis star Caroline Wozniacki for reaching the semifinal of the U.S. Open. In case you forgot, the Open's #9 seed came out to training last month while playing at the LA Women's Tennis Championship here at the HDC. She defeated young American Melanie Oudin last night and will now face Belgian Yanina Wickmayer in the semifinals to try and earn a berth in her first major Final. Click here to see a more detailed look at Caroline's visit.
- Last week the Galaxy Youth Academy teams were out at training to get a look at how the first team does things and give the players an inside look into what life is like as a professional. However, one player who was not there was Eric Gonzalez, the team's U-16 captain from last season. But we think he had a good reason. Yesterday, it was announced that Gonzalez was one of 40 players selected to the fall roster of the U.S. Soccer Under-17 National Team's residency program in Bradenton, Fla. The Corona, Calif. native is now in contention for a spot at the 2009 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Nigeria.
- In other National Team news, both Landon Donovan and David Beckham helped their teams win important World Cup Qualifiers on Wednesday. Beckham played the final 10 minutes of England's 5-1 win over Croatia that sealed their trip to the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. Closer to home, Donovan assisted on Ricardo Clark's game-winning goal as the U.S. beat Trinidad and Tobago 1-0 in Port of Spain to move one step closer to a sixth straight World Cup appearance. Both Beckham and Donovan are expected to be ready to go on Saturday against FC Dallas.
- Speaking of the game against FC Dallas, they have added two familiar players in the last two weeks, acquiring former Galaxy players Daniel Hernandez and Ugo Ihemelu. Both are expected to be available for selection in Saturday's game.
- In Tuesday's Weekly Update we told you about Bryan Jordan's appearance for Time Warner Cable in Baldwin Park. However, that appearance has now been cancelled.
- Finally, for all of you Twitter followers out there, be sure to head over to Alecko's Twitter page and find out how you can win some tickets to Saturday's game.
That's it for now, but we'll be back with more later from today's training.