Friday, October 8, 2010

Postgme Reaction to 1-0 Win at PPL Park

Here is what David, Donovan and Sean had to say right after the win over Philadelphia. Watch here...

And here is more from Bruce, David, Landon and Edson from the locker room.

LA Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena

On the game in general:
“Well it was a good win for us. We didn’t play particularly well but a short week and travel across the country having played Sunday night made for a tough week. Give our guys a lot of credit. I think Donovan Ricketts had a really good game for us, I think two pretty big saves in the second half. And I think Knighton had a great save on Donovan to keep them in the game late. Overall, obviously not a great game by any means. I think both teams probably struggled in the passing game tonight, but both teams have played hard, were well organized. One of those games where we certainly know on the road we’re going to try to get off the field 1-0 if we can and we got that accomplished. At this point in the season where points are important for us it was a big win on the road for us. We’re in g”ood position with two games to go. We’d certainly like to finish on top of the West and win the Supporters’ Shield so we have control of those things at this point.”

On the club’s defense:
“They played well, and a couple of the good looks they had I thought Donovan Ricketts came up big for us. I think it was one of those games where it’s just going to be one play. Our defense played well. I think AJ did a wonderful job in the center with Omar, Dunivant, and Franklin, and like I said Donovan Ricketts did a real good job in goal. It was a very good defensive effort. You know, we didn’t produce a lot going forward, but again we did enough to get the goal and keep them on their heels a bit at times. One of those games where we’re going to take the three points on the road.”

On the atmosphere:
“It was good. I’m very impressed with the stadium, I think it was well done. It’s a great setting, I love the bridge in the background and all, but I think just a wonderful stadium. I love the way it was designed with the suites in the one end zone and the supporters in the other endzone. I think very well done. And very impressed with the professionalism of the organization here in Philadelphia. Everything was first class, they did a real good job.”

On A.J. DeLaGarza’s ability to play centerback:
“I’m still concerned about his height (laughs). He’s as smart a player as you can have. His lack of height he makes up for with intelligence at his position. if he was playing basketball , I’d be concerned. But you know, there are a number of very good centerbacks in the world that were his size. Cannavaro was probably 5’8, 5’9. Robert Ayala, the argentine center, you know ideally if we could draw it up we’d like him to be about 6’3, 6’4 but it ain’t gonna happen. But I think he’s invaluable to us in the fact that he can play any position in the back, and he’s pretty solid. Obviously a game where there’s two big strong forwards, we’d probably be at a little bit of a disadvantage, but A.J. understands being good at spots and how to deal with that.”

LA Galaxy midfielder David Beckham

On his team’s play at the end of the season:
“We finished the season really well, we then had a dry patch of results and now we are just coming out the last two weeks. We are happy tonight because we knew it would be a tough game to come to Philly and win. But we stuck together, we knew it would be tough tonight, but once we got playing and we put them away.”

On coming to a new place with new fans:
“When you are playing and this is the atmosphere. When you play in Europe, these is what you see and I do kind of enjoy it. Fans at away games are the way they should be.”

On his assist:
“I had my chance on the corner and I knew if I put it in position, it would go in. I knew that if I put it in the right area we would score.”

On his recovery from injury thus far:
“Personally I think that I am always going to fighting. To me, I am still going through pre-season. I am trying to get my fitness and then having certain aches and pains during games during the week. This is my first start and I am happy with that.”

On playing at PPL Park:
“It’s a great stadium and a great atmosphere. You know the way the fans are and they way people are in Philly about sports and how passionate they are. It’s been a good trip for us.”

LA Galaxy forward Landon Donovan

On the win:
“We are playing pretty well, we need be a little better with the ball and a little better with our chances. Overall I think we are happy especially when we are on the road.”

On the team’s strong defense:
“From the day Bruce got here he set the standard high defensively and brought in a lot of guys. Our team has been very good defensive. We know every game we are going to get the chances we have been if we stay organized defensively, we are going to be tough to beat.”

LA Galaxy forward Edson Buddle

On his goal:
“We made several runs like that one during the game and this time we put it in.”

On playing at PPL Park for the first time:
“It’s great to see soccer developing in this country and to be a part of that. I have enjoyed it and the fans have been great.”

No comments: