Nineteen players and almost as many staff members will fly to Australia on Friday for the Galaxy's games against Sydney FC and Wellington Phoenix. Forward Clint Mathis will make the trip, pulling on a Galaxy shirt for the first time since 2000, while Gavin Glinton (and a few others as you will see below) will not after being selected in Wednesday's Expansion Draft.
Here is the full list of travelling players...
- Goalkeepers (3): Joe Cannon, Steve Cronin and Lance Friesz.
- Defenders (4): Chris Albright, Ante Jazic, Troy Roberts and Kyle Veris.
- Midfielders (6): David Beckham, Kevin Harmse, Quavas Kirk, Chris Klein, Josh Tudela and Peter Vagenas.
- Forward (6): Edson Buddle, Mike Caso, Landon Donovan, Alan Gordon, Clint Mathis and Carlos Pavon.
These games will see the debut of the Galaxy's new coaching staff as Ruud Gullit, along with assistants Trevor James and Cobi Jones and goalkeeper coach Ian Feuer will all be on the bench. Alexi Lalas, Tom Payne and Paul Bravo will be in attendance as well. Also "braving" the 16 hour flight will be other team staff such as the medical staff and equipment guys and most importantly for you guys, the staff of The LA Galaxy, who will be documenting the entire experience.
Of the 19 players on the tour, two are unlikely to see any action as Alan Gordon and Quavas Kirk are still not match fit. Earlier this month, Gordon underwent surgery on his left foot to correct lingering problem that plagued him for most of the 2007 season. He will join Kirk, who is rehabbing a case of plantar fasciitis in his left foot, in working with the Galaxy medical staff to continue their rehab work.
That leaves Kelly Gray, Ty Harden, Kyle Martino, Mike Randolph, Israel Sesay and Abel Xavier as the six players who are left behind.
Both Harden and Martino underwent hernia operations in Milwaukee on Wednesday while Xavier remains in Portugal rehabbing a left knee injury.
Kelly Gray, Mike Randolph and Israel Sesay are all healthy but will not make the trip for various reasons.
- Gray, who was acquired in July, is scheduled to be married in Northern California on December 1.
- Sesay has already returned to his hometown of Gaithersburg, Md. for the offseason.
And in a bit of great news for one of the Galaxy's breakout stars of 2007...
- Mike Randolph will remain in Los Angeles after having been named to the U.S. Under-23 National Team’s provisional roster for their upcoming camp. The U.S. roster is expected to be announced next week and if Randolph is named in the squad, it will be his first career call-up to the National Team at any level.
The Galaxy will play Sydney FC on Tuesday night (1:30 a.m. for those of you in LA) at Telstra Stadium and then take on Wellington Phoenix on Saturday night (10:15 p.m. in LA) before returning to the States a few days later.