LA Galaxy 2, AC St. Louis 0
Tuesday, June 28, 2010
The Home Depot Ceter - Carson, Calif.
LA – Chris Klein 1 (Tristan Bowen 1) 69’
LA – Juninho 1 (Eddie Lewis 1) 80’
LA – Jovan Kirovski (Yellow Card) 55’
STL – Chris Salvaggione (Yellow Card) 72’
LA Galaxy: Josh Saunders, Bryan Jordan, A.J. DeLaGarza, Leonardo, Alex Cazumba, Chris Klein, Jovan Kirovski, Clint Mathis (Chris Birchall 80’), Eddie Lewis, Alan Gordon, Tristan Bowen (Juninho 73’).
Subs Not Used: Donovan Ricketts, Todd Dunivant, Sean Franklin, Omar Gonzalez, Michael Stepehens.
AC St. Louis: Alec Duffy, Mark Bloom, Dillon Barna, Tim Velten, Jack Traynor, Luke Kreamalmeyer, Jeff Cosgriff (Ryan Moore 85’), Gauchino, Troy Cole (Elvir Kafedic 76’), Brad Stisser (Chris Salvaggione 72’), Mike Ambersley.
Subs Not Used: Chad Becker, John Lesko.
• With the win, the Galaxy are now 5-1 all-time in the Third Round of the U.S. Open Cup. This was their first Third Round win since 2002. The club entered the Open Cup in the Fourth Round from 2003-2006.
• The Galaxy will face the winner of tomorrow night’s match between the Seattle Sounders FC and the Portland Timbers in the Quarterfinals of the U.S. Open Cup on July 7. If Portland wins, the Galaxy will host the Timbers at The Home Depot Center. If Seattle wins, the Galaxy would travel to Seattle to take on the Sounders at Starfire Sports Complex.
• Chris Klein’s goal, a curling volley from outside the box that was just outside the reach of goalkeeper Alec Dufty, was his first with the club since May 2008.
• Juninho’s tally in the 80th minute was his first career goal with LA. The Brazilian midfielder, who came on for Tristan Bowen in the 73rd minute, was set up by Eddie Lewis to give the Galaxy a 2-0 lead.
• Bruce Arena made eight changes to the starting lineup used this past Saturday in a 0-0 draw in Toronto. Goalkeeper Josh Saunders and defenders Alex Cazumba, A.J. DeLaGarza, Bryan Jordan and Leonardo represented a new back line. Jovan Kirovski, Chris Klein, Eddie Lewis and Clint Mathis got the nod at midfield while Alan Gordon and Tristan Bowen started up top. Cazumba, Kirvoski and Bowen were holdovers from Saturday's lineup to this one.
• Eddie Lewis wore the captain’s armband for a second time this year, he also wore the armband on May 23 in the friendly against Boca Juniors.
• For the first time all season, defender Omar Gonzalez did not figure in the starting lineup or play in the game. The 2009 MLS Rookie of the Year was on the bench and available for selection but did not play.
• The Galaxy were without Mike Magee through injury while Dema Kovalenko was suspended. Edson Buddle and Landon Donovan were not available for selection either having just finished their participation in the 2010 FIFA World Cup with the U.S. National Team.
• Leonardo was making his first appearance in a Galaxy lineup since straining his right quad in training in mid-April. The Brazilian defender started and played the full 90 minutes. Prior to tonight, his last appearance in a Galaxy game had come on April 10 in Houston, when the Galaxy beat the Dynamo 2-0 to start the season with three consecutive wins.
• The attendance for today’s game was 2,179.
• The Galaxy are back in action on Sunday, July 4 when they host the Fourth of July Fireworks Extravaganza match against the Seattle Sounders FC, presented by Chelada by Budweiser, at 7:30 p.m. (PT) at The Home Depot Center. Following the match, which can be seen live on FS West, all fans in attendance will be able to enjoy a postgame fireworks extravaganza, powered by 104.3 MYfm.
• In MLS play, the Galaxy are now 10-1-3 on the season, leaving them with 33 points. They remain alone in first place in the Western Conference, nine points ahead of second place Real Salt Lake who have 24 points.
• For more about today’s game, please visit www.lagalaxy.com.
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
LA Galaxy 2, AC St. Louis 0